Congratulations Newport Students!
You read over 60,000 minutes this summer!That is 17,000 more than last summer! Way to go!
Summer Reading ProgramJoin the Scholastic challenge to help set the world record for summer minutes read by studentsand keep your reading skills sharp for the future!Visit:to track your minutesTo sign-up, email Mrs. Wagner:Stop by the school Library Media Center this summer to check in/out books!Summer Hours:JulyJulyJulyHey parents - you can get involved too!
Here are some Scholastic tips for incorporating summer reading in your home:
· Share the books that you loved as a kid with your own child
· Start a Family Book Club and enjoy the same book together
· Encourage your kids to choose the books they want to read
· Read aloud together
· Download activity sheets from Scholastic.com/summer
· Visit your local library
· Visit your school library (visit Mrs. Wagner’s home page at the Newport School District Website for summer dates and hours)
Did you know that according to Scholastic website students who score in the 90th percentile read almost two million words per year outside of school? That’s more than 200 times more words than a student at the 10th percentile, who reads only 8,000 words outside of school per year. This research proves it is important that students take the time to read over the summer in order to keep their skills sharp. For more information on the Scholastic Summer Challenge and for more tips on raising a reader, please visit scholastic.com/parents.Have a great summer, and happy reading!